Thursday, September 10, 2009

What Moves Me

The sweet sound of talent echoing in the theatre, over and over and over again. The strength of chord progression and key changes. The edge of hard rock and metal. The simplistic beauty of Celtic and New Age. The grinding of dissonance. The purity of classical. The emotion of Broadway.

Music moves me. There is not a day that goes by when my life is not affected by music. I let it fill my ears and I am transported to somewhere else. I feel the Spirit of God enter my heart and I want to shout praises unto Him. I feel closer to my Savior and to the world through music. I feel alive. I feel right. I feel happy.

I cannot express in writing the beauty that comes from music. I can only write my witness that I know it can change lives. Music is what has brought cultures, people,and society together for years. It has helped bridge the language barrier. It has helped move people to do good.

Music can silence the cries of a young child; it can bring joy and happiness to a party. It can break your heart and tear at your soul; it can soothe and comfort you.

I love music. I love to sing. I'm not trying to sound prideful, but I can sing, and I know it. Any opportunity that I get to perform, I do it. There hasn't passed one semester since returning home from my mission when I haven't been in a show. This is my first semester without performing.

One reason why I am doing film is because I think it is more practical. Is it? Do I enjoy it as much as I do music? What I love is the two put together: film and music is what I love. If I knew more about music, I would write music scores. I would perform in my own movies. I would...create musicals that told stories of real people in real life with real problems.

Am I achieving my goals? Am I doing what I love? I didn't make it into the film program the first time. That was a horrible shock to me. I cried for hours. I'm not gonna lie. I am applying again, and this time I think that my chances are better. I have an awesome script and I have started work on writing my papers already.

I want to help others feel what I feel when it comes to music and film. I want them to be as happy as I am when I watch or hear a new song or see a new movie. I want them to be happy...is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

No doubt about it....you are my son. You put into words the same things I feel about music, and you did it so eloquently. I wish I could put my thoughts to paper as easily as you. Love you!!!

Mark said...

Mom is right. But, the tight harmony ability comes from me. (All those barbershop numbers when you were just a twinkle.)