Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Recession

When the recession first started, I was hopeful like many other Americans, that it would be short lived. It has been almost a year since the economic slump. Although we aren't near the end of it all, there is a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel that gets brighter each month.

That said, I thought that I would not be affected by the recession. That was until I got into a car accident. My car was totaled. I then lost my job. I had no money. It took be 4 weeks to find another job, and when I did find one, it was about 2 1/2 hours away from my home. I did the commute each day, for I had no choice. Since then, I found another job only 7 minutes away from my home and on campus. It has been such a great blessing.

However, those 4 weeks when I was jobless, penniless, and hopeless were the worst weeks in my entire life. I had never known the feeling of despair and grief quite like that before. I was looking for a job every single day, and nothing was headed my way. I woke up every morning and prayed that I would find something. Nothing. Not even a call from a loving bishop. I felt alone. I felt rejected.

Now, looking back, even though it has only been a few months since that all started, I can say...(vomit) that I am grateful for that experience. It has taught me to value and appreciate what I have, however little that may be. I remember posting the jealously I felt for people who had bread to eat and milk to drink. I had nothing but Top Ramen. Seriously. Nothing but Ramen. I couldn't afford anything else.

I am grateful for the really crappy moments in my life. I grow the most during them. Even though I hate going through those experiences, I learn lessons that I wouldn't trade. Losing my car, my job and my pride taught me that I don't need everything. I can get by with the things that sustain me.

God bless this recession.

4 comments:

Ben said...

wow. i had no idea you were going through so much. i wish i could've helped in some way.

i'm happy that you feel like you learned a lot through it all.

Bravone said...

I too have been humbled the past year. I have tried to adopt the motto, 'Come what may and love it."

Mark said...

Son:
Welcome to life. Now, with thoughtful and careful planning, trying to avoid snap decisions about spending money, you'll be all right. Pay your tithing. Do your best in every assignment.

Love Dad.

Alicia said...

When we were first married, Danny and I ate potatoes almost every way you could eat them. We were so stinking poor! But looking back, I don't really remember being short of anything. I look back on those years and only love them. And what's more, we're really good with handling what money we do have now. We learned a lot and I wouldn't change a thing about those first two years. I'm sorry you had to go through that though. If you would be so kind as to send me your address, I might be so kind as to send you a Joseph City package: full of funzy-funzy times. I'm a whiz at package sending, what with one brother in Idaho and one sister in Thatcher and one brother-in-law in Mississippi on his mission. Send me your address, Andy... you know you want to.